The Liverpool and Manchester Railway (L&MR) was opened on 15th September 1830 between Liverpool and Manchester.
The initial 1823 survey for the line was carried out by William James but was considered defective and in 1824 George Stephenson was appointed engineer in his place. Stephenson was replaced, apparently due to further mistakes being made possibly due to the absence of Robert Stephenson, by George and John Rennie as engineers, who chose Charles Blacker Vignoles as their surveyor. The crossing of Chat Moss, saw both Rennie's and the Vignoles resign and bought the return of Stephenson as engineer with Joseph Locke as his assistant (later removed). The collections include reports by Stephenson on Locke and Vignoles (and others) and a costing for the crossing of Chat Moss.