Click the image above to see in more detail.
Edward Bayzand Ellington (1845-1914)
31st President of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
Ellington was born on 2 August 1845 in London, England. He was educated at Denmark Hill Grammar School. On leaving school in 1862 he was articled to John Penn of Greenwich. He stayed there until 1868, and was involved in erecting plant onboard ship, and attending trial trips. From 1867 to 1868 he worked in the drawing office.
In 1869 he entered into a partnership with Bryan Johnson of Chester. The company, renamed Johnson and Ellington, began specializing in hydraulic machinery. In 1875 they acquired the right to manufacture the Brotherhood three cylinder hydraulic engine. The company was converted to a limited company named ‘The Hydraulic Engineering Company’.
Largely through the efforts of Ellington, an Act of Parliament was passed for the distribution of water at high pressure for the working of goods and passenger lifts, in large towns. In 1872 he initiated the Hull Hydraulic Power Company, the company of its type. It was a pioneer which demonstrated the practicality of the idea on a large scale. In 1882, he took a prominent role in the supply of hydraulic power to London, with the formation of the General Hydraulic Power Company of Southwark, London. He was appointed general manager and engineer, and remained in these posts until his death. The General Hydraulic Power Company formed subsidiary companies to supply power to Liverpool (in 1889), Manchester (in 1894) and Glasgow (in 1895).
He was also responsible for many inventions. The most important were the hydraulic balance lift and the automatic injector fire-hydrant. His hydraulic power supply system was awarded a gold medal at the Inventions Exhibition in 1885.
He was President 1911-1912, and it was during this time that the extension of 1 Birdcage Walk commenced.
He died in London on 10 November 1914.