Architectural drawings

Design drawings and plans for the Institution's headquarters, at 1 Birdcage Walk. Basil Slade was the original architect and the drawings are from his period, 1877-1899.

The site cost £9,500 and housed a pub and the foundations of a Slade designed luxury residential block, the latter was adapted and expanded to form our HQ. The plans include those submitted to us, as approved by the Ecclesiastical Commission (land owners), HM Office of Works (our original tenants) and the Trustees of Dr Daniel Williams's charity (sitting tenants). An adjoining building was also built on Old Queen Street.