In 1975 a new office was opened in Bury St Edmonds, several departments including finance, publications and qualifications relocated. The office closed in 2004.
Further restructuring of groups and divisions took place in 1980 to form new divisions covering power industries, process industries, engineering manufacturing industries and aerospace industries. These were shortly joined by an engineering management division.
From 1984 the Institution has supported recognition of mechanical engineering in our nation’s history and societal development via the Engineering Heritage Hallmark Scheme: awarding important locations, artefacts, collections and landmarks with a plaque. In 2007 the Scheme was reinvigorated under the new title of Engineering Heritage Awards. All awarded sites and collections are listed and illustrated in the Awards book.
In 1988 the Institution launched a new Member publication; Professional Engineering. This replaced Chartered Mechanical Engineer which had been in place since 1954.
In 1997 the Institution celebrated its 150th anniversary year, a year in which the first woman President, Pamela Liversidge, was elected.
A year later, in 1998, the first Formula Student event was held.
In 2012 the Institution acquired Argyll Ruane - a world renowned non-destructive testing (NDT), corrosion and coatings training and consultancy organisation. This was followed in 2013 by the acquisition of Sonaspection - an internationally recognised manufacturer of high quality flaws for the NDT industry.
2022 sees the Institution celebrate its 175th anniversary, a year in which we celebrate our heritage whilst looking forward at the global challenges we face, continuing our 175-year-old mission to improve the world through engineering.