In 1909 the Institution’s first international branch was founded in Calcutta (now Kolkata), India.
By 1913 the Institution had commenced its own entrance examinations in a drive to improve and control the training of mechanical engineers. Candidates for Associate Membership would be expected to sit a general knowledge paper, a three-hour paper on applied mathematics, a three-hour paper on physics and chemistry and two three-hour papers elected from the following list: materials, steam engines, internal combustion engines, hydraulics, “electrotechnics”, the theory of machines, machine design and metallurgy.
The Benevolent Fund of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers was founded in 1913 by Institution members as a way of providing advice, support and financial assistance to colleagues and their families.
Summer Meetings were held in America and a joint meeting in Birmingham and London.